The most insidious ethics questions for lawyers aren’t the ones that come up on the MPRE exam. Experienced lawyers have more practical questions, such as:
- When am I allowed to discard closed files?
- What kind of information can I store online with cloud services like Dropbox?
- What terms can I put in my engagement agreement? (Is an arbitration clause okay?)
- What issues does using social media use create?
To get up-to-date answers to these and other legal ethics questions: (1) subscribe to the Louisiana Legal Ethics Newsletter, which is distributed via email 3-4 times a month; and, (2) get Louisiana Legal Ethics: Standards & Commentary (2013), an up-to-date compendium of useful citations and indispensable practical advice. The book includes:
- The Louisiana Rules of Professional Conduct, with annotations on the history and adoption of each rule, ABA comments to the corresponding model rule and important Louisiana case law.
- Louisiana Supreme Court Rule XIX (on lawyer discipline).
- Materials on disciplinary sanctions, including the ABA Standards for Imposing Lawyer Sanctions.
- Selected “professionalism” codes and other materials.
- Answers to frequently asked ethics questions.
Dane S. Ciolino edits and annotates the book and the newsletter. He serves as the Alvin R. Christovich Distinguished Professor of Law at Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, where he teaches legal ethics. Professor Ciolino is a former Editor in Chief of the Tulane Law Review who practiced law at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP in New York City, and Stone Pigman Walther Wittmann LLC, in New Orleans. He has a limited law practice, principally in the areas of legal ethics, lawyer discipline, judicial discipline and federal criminal law.
For a PDF preview of the book’s introductory pages and other sample pages, click here: Preview Introductory and Sample Pages from Louisiana Legal Ethics Book.
To subscribe to the newsletter, click here: Subscribe to the Louisiana Legal Ethics Newsletter.
To buy the book for at the current list price of $29.95 at Amazon.com, click the button below, or click here: Buy Book from Amazon.com. The book is also available for Kindle e-book readers for $9.99 at Amazon.com.